Mutton dum biryani is a biryani recipe that cooked in slow flame. Means will give dum for mutton marinated with masala along with half cooked rice. Result was mind blowing biryani.There are different ways to cook biryani. I have already introduced prawns biryani procedure (with photos), I have made this on pressure cooker.( To see the procedure go to the below link)
Biryani is my favourite recipe.All of my family members enjoy the biryani including my 3 yrs old daughter. Usually I like to prepare biryani on weekends because we have to make weekend as special.. Right??.
Mutton will give a different flavour to the biryani. All the secret is in the fat of the mutton, it give different taste among other biryani’s. Marination is also give masala flavour to the mutton. Fried onions give awsone flavour to the biryani.
In this mutton dum biryani we first marinate the mutton with curd, whole spices, masala powder, red chilli powder, pudina leaves, lemon and salt. Then will cook the mutton nicely after will give dum with half cooked rice ( rice will be cooked along with whole spices) , pudina leaves and fried onions. It is very easy to prepare.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Equipment required: biryani vessel
- Basmati rice: 3/4 kg
- Mutton: 1/2 kg, washed and cleaned
- Onions :3, vertically sliced
- Curd: 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 and half table spoon.
- Red chilli powder: 2 table spoons
- Biryani masala powder: 1 table spoon
- Cinnamon stick : 6
- Cardmon: 6
- Biryani leaves: 6
- Cloves: 16
- Black pepper seeds: 15
- Shajeera: 3 table spoons
- Nutmeg and mace :6
- Lemon : 1
- Pudina leaves: 2 cups, chopped
- Coriander leaves: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Food colour(red): 1 table spoon
- Salt : 5 table spoons ( as required)
- Prepare fried onions . For this go to this link Fried onions recipie.
- In large bowl add mutton, curd,red chilli powder, turmeric powder,salt, ginger garlic paste, biryani masala powder,2 cinnamon stick,2 cardmon,1 table spoon shajeera, 2 biryani leaves,4 cloves, 5 black pepper seeds, 2 nutmeg and mace, 1 cup pudina leaves, 1/2 cup coriander leaves mix well. Squeeze lemon and mix properly. Marinate this mixture for 2 hours.
- In a biryani vessel add 4 table spoons of oil, once heat add 2 cinnamon stick,2 cardmon,1 table spoon shajeera, 2 biryani leaves,4 cloves, 5 black pepper seeds, 2 nutmeg and mace saute for 1 minute. Now add marinated mutton cook in a slow flame. Cook untill mutton is properly cooked.
- Meanwhile in large cooking pot add basmati rice , 10 or more cups of water, 2 cinnamon stick,2 cardmon,1 table spoon shajeera, 2 biryani leaves,4 cloves, 5 black pepper seeds, 2 nutmeg and mace, 1 table spoon oil and few pudina leaves, cook till rice will be half cooked.
- Then strain water. keep strained rice a side.
- In the vessel that we have prepared mutton , arrange the bottom layer with half portion of the cooked mutton, above it one layer of half cooked rice , sprinkle few pudina leaves and few fried onions. Layer the left over mutton on above it ,layer the remaining half cooked rice , remaining pudina leaves and remaining fried onions
- Sprinkle 1 table spoon ghee and 1 table spoon food colour (red).
- Cover with a lid, that should be fitted properly no steam will come out. On the top of the lid add cold water cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now open the lid stir the biryani.
Cooking will be on simmer flame
Serve hot with raita or curry…