Dosa is south Indian most popular breakfast dish. Dosa is crunchy and soft in texture and extremely delicious.. Main ingredients for dosa is split black gram (urud daal/ minapappu) and rice. For extra crunchyness we can add cooked rice or rice flakes (Poha).
The proportion of rice and split black gram is essential to get crispy and soft dosa. It should always be maintained at 3:1 ratio of rice and split black gram/ polished black gram.If proportion is not maintained within the limits, the softness and crispiness of dosa may vary.
Procedure for this dosa recipe starts with soaking. We have to soak rice and black gram for atleast 4 hours. It gives better results. Soak some Fenugreek seeds along with rice , it will give nice colour to dosa. We can also soak split Bengal gram for additional taste .
After 4 hours of soaking, make a fine paste of the above Ingradients by adding water while grinding. The batter consistancy should be smooth but not too thick and not too thin. Add salt and ferment this batter for 5 hour then prepare crispy soft dosa…
The prepared batter can be stored in fridge for 3-4 days usage.
Preparation time: 10 – 12 hours
Cooking time: 15 minutes
For dosa : non stick dosa pan
For dosa batter: mixer grinder / grinder
For dosa batter:
- Split black gram/ polished black gram: 1 cup
- Rice: 3 cups
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 table spoon 🥄
- Split bengal gram: 1 table spoon 🥄
- Cooked rice/rice flakes (Poha/atukulu): 1 cup
- Oil: 4 table spoons 🥄
- Dosa batter
- Wash and soak rice 🍚 , fenugreek seeds, split bengal gram in one vessel and split black gram/ polished black gram in another vessel for 4-5 hours.
- Next add some portion of split black gram and half cup water to the mixer grinder jar and make fine paste. Now add half cup water to the paste make it more fluffy. Take it to the large vessel.(Don’t add too much water.)
- Repeat step-2 untill soaked split gram is over.
- In the same mixer jar add some portion of the soaked rice (don’t add water) and make fine paste. Later add little water and make smooth paste. Take this paste into the same vessel that black gram paste is taken.
- Repeat step-4 till soaked rice is over.
- Now add slat to the batter and ferment for 6 -7 hours. Overnight fermentation will give you good results.
- Heat dosa pan for 5-6 minutes. Without heating , reversing of dosa will not done properly.
- Apply few drops of oil , spread on the pan. Or you can run onion slice on the pan. (This step is optional for nonstick dosa pan users)
- Now add ladle full of batter in the centre of the pan and move this in clockwise direction to make a thin crepe.
- Now sprinkle 1 table spoon oil at edges of dosa. Wait for 1-2 minutes.
- When you observe the sides are moving little up, flip dosa cook it a while.
Now the crispy dosa is ready to serve…