Mirchi bajji is a superb snack item. Mirchi bajji is prepared in different styles at different parts of India. It is also the famous Street food all over India. In Andhra region, mirchi bajji are served with a stuff of finely chopped onions, red chilli powder and peanuts. While it is served with ajwain paste in Maharashtra. The procedure of preparing bajji is same everywhere but it varies in stuffing.
Preparation for this mirchi bajji is very simple. Prefer green, shiney fresh mirchi’s for this recipe(special bajji mirchi are available in the vegetable markets. Prefer those mirchi’s only, not the regular curry mirchi’s). Besan is the main ingredient to prepare batter. Add little amount of red chilli powder, salt, soda, ajwain and turmeric powder to prepare the batter along with besan powder and little water.
Don’t add too much water because if batter is thin then it doesn’t coat with mirchi resulting in thin bajjis. Batter should be thick( we dip mirchi in batter).
Dip mirchi in batter means mirchi should coat perfectly all over. Next drop this into hot oil. Fry till golden brown colour appears. Next drain from oil and place it in kitchen towel. Next slice the bajji along the mirchi to put stuff (for preparing stuffing, check below).
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Equipment required: frying pan
- Bajji mirchi: 9, washed
- Besan powder: 2 cups
- Red chilli powder: half table spoon
- Ajwain: 1 table spoon
- Soda: 1/4 table spoon
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 table spoon
- Salt: as required
- Lemon 🍋: 2
- Onion: 1 big, finely chopped
- Roasted peanuts: half cup
- Red chilli powder: 1/4 table spoon
- Coriander leaves: 1/4 cup, chopped
- Salt: as required.
- In a big vessel add besan powder, red chilli powder, ajwain, turmeric powder,soda and salt. Mix properly. Add 3/4 cup of water and make a slight thick batter.
- Heat 4 cups of oil in frying pan.
- Once oil becomes hot, dip the washed mirchi into the batter and drop it into oil (becareful while dropping).
- Drop 2 or 3 at a time and fry till golden brown colour appears on both sides.
- Next drain mirchi bajjis from oil and place it on kitchen towel.
- Repeat step 3 for remaining bajji mirchi’s.
- For stuffing: In a bowl add roasted peanuts, finely chopped onions, red chilli powder(1/4 table spoon), salt(pinch) and coriander leaves, mix properly.
- Now slice the bajji’s in the middle and put stuffing.
- Squeeze lemon on bajji’s and serve hot .
Serve mirchi bajji with tea or coffee…