When it comes to Kolhapuri variety of any curry, it reminds us the full of spices blended with right combination of vegetable or non-vegetarian items and masala. One such popular recipie is spicy kolhapuri style chicken curry. Kolhapuri, a temple town, located in Maharashtra State is famous Mahalakshmi temples. Besides it is famous for its spicy food. These recipes are reddish in colour and little thick in gravy and the taste is amazing.
I am living in Maharashtra. So whenever I want to eat spicy food in restaurants then my obvious choice is Kolhapuri style curry. I have visited Kolhapuri and overwhelmed with the authentic taste of Kolhapuri recipes and left the permanent impressions.
Hence I would like to bring the same recipies on my blog after doing so much experimentation to become an excel. One such recipie is Kolhapuri chicken. Here red chillies, coconut powder/ grated coconut, khus khus and raw masala spieces are used in masala preparation. We Cook the marinated chicken with this masala for delicious Kolhapuri taste. Procedure is very simple. But the spicy masala wherein chicken is cooked make you fall for it.
Below I am providing recipe procedure withpictures. You can go through it for better understanding. In this photo collage:
- First photo is about Marination.: Marinate chicken with turmeric powder, coriander powder, masala powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Second picture is about ingredients(listed below in ingredients coloumn.)
- 3rd picture is about frying raw spices and coconut powder.
- 4th picture is about tadka.
- 5th picture is about adding onions and ginger garlic paste to tadka and cooking.
- 6th picture is about adding tomato pieces
- 7th picture is about adding marinated chicken and masala paste(fine paste of the roasted RWA spices)
- 8th picture is about adding water.
- Kolhapuri chicken curry is ready.
- Chicken: 50 gms
- Onions: 3, finely chopped
- Tomato: half , finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 table spoon
- Garlic cloves: 5
- Red chilli: 2
- Curry leaves: few
- Curd: 1 table spoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 table spoon
- Turmeric powder: half table spoon
- Coriander powder: 1 table spoon
- Garam masala powder: 1 table spoon
- Salt: 1 table spoon
For masala paste:
- Star anise (chakra phool/anasa puvvu): 1
- Black pepper (Kali Miri/miriyalu): 5
- Cloves(lavangalu): 5
- Sha jeera: 1 table spoon
- Cinnamon sticks (dalchini): 2,small
- Nutmeg (jaiphal/Jajikaya): 1
- Poppy seeds (khus khus/gasagasalu): 1 table spoon
- Sesame seeds (nuvvulu): 1 table spoon
- Dry coconut powder: 1 table spoon
- Red chilli: 2
- Wash and clean chicken. To marinate chicken, take a large bowl add washed chicken and ingredients mentioned in Marination. Now mix well. Keep a side.
- Next in frying pan add 1 table spoon of oil. Add cinnamon stick, star anise,cloves, black pepper and nut meg roast for half minute. Now add Sha jeera, sesame seeds, red chilli and khus khus roast for half minute. Finally add dry coconut powder give a nice stir and switch off the stove. Let them cool.(roast ingredients in slow flame)
- Now place these roasted ingredients in mixture jar and make a fine powder. Now add little water and make fine paste.
- In a pressure cooker add 3 table spoons of oil. Once oil becomes hot add garlic cloves, red chilli and curry leaves saute for half minute. Now add chopped onions and ginger garlic paste saute for 1 minute. Now add tomato pieces and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes in low flame. Next add prepared masala paste and cook for 10 minutes. Stir inbetween.
- Now add 1 cup of water and close the lid. Cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
Spicy Kolhapuri chicken curry is ready to serve.